4 - Hour Work week

The 4 - Hour work week
Escape 9 - 5 Live Anywhere And Join The New Rich
Timothy Ferris

A short while ago, Alan told me this is one book I should be reading so I followed his advice and found a copy on eBay - tacoboy even called next in line to read it. I have not read chapter 1 yet and can already say I am sure many of you would be inspired by this book - good for airplane reading - you might even even find a copy for sale while waiting for your flight.

Yesterday I got my green highlighter out and started reading the introduction, highlighting the good bits as I went a long - below are some parts that stood out for me - I feel like this book will definitly add a few more pieces to the puzzle.

From using Jedi Mind tricks to disappear from the office to designing businesses that finance your lifestyle, there are paths for every comfort level.

Live Life Large - instead of postponing it.

The objective is to create freedom of time and place and use both however you want.

I'm excited. I'm just going to have fun and let the rest follow.

The New Rich (NR) are those who abandon deferred-life plan and create luxury lifestyles in the present using the currency of the New Rich: time and mobility. This is an art and a science we will refer to as Lifestyle Design (LD)

My journey from grossly overworked and severely underpaid office worker to a member of the NR is at once stranger than fiction and now that I have deciphered the code - simple to duplicate. There is a recipe.

Life doesn't have to be so damn hard. It really doesn't. Most people, my past self included have spent to much time convincing themselves life has to be hard, a resignation to 9 to - 5 drudgery in exchange for (sometimes) relaxing weekends and the occasional keep-it-short-or-get-fired vacation.

If you have picked up this book chances are you do not want to sit behind a desk till you are 62. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, real-life fantasy travel, long-term wandering, setting world records, or simply a dramatic career change, this book will give you all the tools you need to make it a reality in the here-and-now instead of in the often elusive "retirement." There is a way to get rewards for a life of hard work without waiting till the end.

$1,000,000 in the bank isn't the fantasy. The fantasy is the life-style of complete freedom it supposedly allows. The question is then, How can one achieve the millionaire lifestyle of complete freedom without first having $1,000,000?

Resolve now to test the concepts as an exercise in lateral thinking. If you try it you'll see just how deep the rabbit hole goes, and you won't ever go back.

Take a deep breath let me show you my world and remember-tranquilo. It's time to have fun and let the rest follow.

This book will teach you the principals I have used to become the following:

No-holds-barred cage fighter, vanquisher of 4 world champions
First American history to hold Guinness world record in tango
Princeton University guest lecturer in entrepreneurship
Applied linguist in Japanese, Chinese, German and Spanish
Glycemic index researcher
National Chinese kick boxing champion
MTV break-dancer in Taiwan
Athletic adviser to more than 30 world record holders
Actor on a hit TV series in China and Hong Kong
TV host in Thailand and China
Political asylum researcher and activist
Shark diver
Motorcycle racer

Timothy then goes on to to talk about how he got there being a tad less glamorous.

I put my highlighter away after reading this final line - The new message is simple: I've seen the promised land, and there is good news. You can have it all.

I have believed that for a long time now - after all we made it to paradise - a good place to stop and process things a bit before reading on.

(If you have read this book or plan to please leave a comment - would like to read peoples feedback)

Jumping for joy

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm glad you're getting into this book! It's one of the books I'm re-reading (for the third time now) as it goes into detail about how to live your dream as you're making it, and not just signing up to the life-deferral plan (work until you drop, or get rich, whichever comes first).

Why spend the most productive years of your life in the indentured service of someone else, producing, consuming and accumulating dross, hoping you *might* raise the cash to finally retire at 60 and sip margaritas on a white sandy beach (or whatever is your 'dream')? The years at the end aren't those that you should be doing this - it's NOW! Separate yourself from the living dead, step off the treadmill, you could be living your dreams - tacogirl and boy certainly are, as are many of us here in SP.

Bye bye rat race, hello paradise!

I knew it would be something that was up your your street, Tacogirl! Here's one of my favourite quotes, also in the book:

"All courses of action are risky, so prudence is not in avoiding danger (it’s impossible), but calculating risk and acting decisively. Make mistakes of ambition and not mistakes of sloth. Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer."
-- Niccolò Macchiavelli, from The Prince
tacogirl said…
So true Alan - Hello paradise

I had to laugh when I read this line.... "I'm excited. I'm just going to have fun and let the rest follow." How true that statement has become since moving here.

I also liked, "Live Life Large - instead of postponing it."
Anonymous said…
Ohh... to be sipping a Belikin with Butchie at Patojo's....

Party at Patojo's Friday Febuary 8th. Spread the word!





SERENITY NOW! So sayeth Costanza.
tacogirl said…
Dex, What time is the party at Patajo's?

Ha ha serenity now - Seinfeld fan here.
Mikeywaz said…
I've been listening to the audiobook version. I often listen to books while walking the dogs in the field. It's very inspirational. Not everyone can do everything he suggests, but there are plenty of great nuggets to get you thinking about a lifestyle redesign. I haven't finished it yet - been too busy getting excited about Belize in 7 days! Maybe I'll finish it on the plane.

My favorite quote: Life doesn't have to be so damn hard!
Anonymous said…
This is a cool read, but I found the part about how he became a kickboxing champion a bit strange.
tacogirl said…
Mikey, yes to golden nuggets - have always been a fan of taking what works on a personal level from reading and leaving the rest behind.

Yes big mike that part was a bit off - one of those parts that did not really resonate with me.
That fellow jumping for joy in the photo is jumping in front the new (soon to be )Sunrise Realty 9 - 5 trap.
tacogirl said…
How funny, congrats on your new location Amanda. 9-5 not as bad when you are in Paradise cause you get the palm trees year around.
Anonymous said…
T.G. Sorry for the lateness. Say 9,ish

Popular posts from this blog

Mayan Abdominal Massage

Help Save Bacalar Chico

tacogirl.com island blog, San Pedro, Belize