Less is more

Coleen at Island Perk turned me onto Dr Bronner's soap a while back. I mentioned the liquid soap briefly in a past post this week, but I got to thinking it needed a post of it's own. We all need to start thinking little things we can do and products we can use that help keep the natural beauty of Ambergris Caye.

Where to start?

After looking up the 18 uses of the soap, I found out through various people's trial and error that they would not necessarily recommend all 18 uses but one thing was clear everyone was hooked on the product. One person even wrote that a 32 ounce bottle will last over half a year, making it a great bargain.

With Dr Bronner's less really is more in addition it going a long way, the ingredient list is short and sweet.

Ingredients: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

A few other good points to consider about why it is important to start using products like this here in San Pedro.... It is completely biodegradable and vegetable based - made with certified fair trade and Organic Oils, contains no synthetic foaming Agents, thickeners or preservatives
100% post-consumer recycled (PCR) cylinder bottles and paper labels.

The Soap company is also socially responsible, spending at least 10% of its yearly profits on worthwhile causes and organizations such as wells in Ghana and orphanages in China. They also offer a great benefit/bonus plan for their staff and fully fund the California maximum 15% profit sharing plan.

Bronner's has signed the Co-op America Woodwise Pledge to be socially responsible through diminishing it's consumption of forest tree-based materials and products. Their bar soap paper label and inner liner are now a 25% hemp / 75% post-consumer recycled blend. They print their letterhead on this same paper and all office paper is made from 100% post-consumer recycled paper. They also silk-screen their cylinder bottles (50% post-consumer recycled plastic) in place of the million-plus paper labels they were using per year.

Here are 2 interesting sites I found while I was looking it up Passionate Homemaking and Scream to be Green


Love the liquid soap

Paul not a fan of the liquid soap and my spray bottles - going to get him on the bar soap

Coleen buys the big size

Comments

Jason C said…
Thanks for stopping by my blog! We reuse the Method foam soap dispenser and put a diluted mixture of Dr Bronners in it. It works perfectly! It never clogs.

Great post. Be well

-Jason
http://www.screamtobegreen.com
I love Dr Bonner's soap, one of my friends brought me a bar of the peppermint when she came to visit because she remembered that I liked it. Can you actually buy it in Belize or do you have it shipped to you?
regards,
Theresa
tacogirl said…
Great idea Jason I tried that in our bathroom with the tea tree soap.

Theresa unfortunately we cannot buy Dr Bronner's here as far as I know. I get it when people are coming to visit. Sure wish someone would open a health shop here.
Kathy said…
I used to use Dr B's all the time and actually just used up the last of the Hemp soap recently. Jamie thinks it leaves a residue on the RV parts so we don't use it in the trailer. I wish we were going back to the US (in a car) so we could bring lots back. The peppermint is my favorite.

Oh, and we ALWAYS cut it 1/2 with water.
tacogirl said…
harvestmoon I like the peppermint too. Waiting to try the citrus one if I can get some.

Popular posts from this blog

Mayan Abdominal Massage

Help Save Bacalar Chico

tacogirl.com island blog, San Pedro, Belize